You know you’re an EMT…
- You get a secret thrill out of splinting things unnecessarily.
- You can hear 25 voices behind you and know exactly which one belongs to the patient you transported last month.
- “Oh, you’re an EMT? Tell me what you think of this (infection, cough, paper-cut amputation, stubbed toe). Should I call 911?”
- You only consider taking family to the doctor if they are actively dying.
- You can eat a multi-course meal in under 5 minutes while operating a radio and Federal-Q.
- You have the bladder capacity of a racing elephant.
- You start saving other people’s trash, because most likely you can use those twist-ties or that plastic butter tub for something at the station.
- You want to slap the next person who says, “Must be nice to work one day and have two off”.
- You believe chocolate is a food group.
- You can tell if it’s a full moon without ever looking outside.
- You believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, “Boy, things sure are quiet today”
- You actively avoid making eye contact with others in public, in case you are recognized.
- You believe in aerial spraying of Prozac, and have planned locations for Valium salt-licks.
- You think caffeine should be available in intravenous form.
- You spend more money on food at work than you do for your family at home.
- You can’t pass the first aid or snack aisle without getting at least 5 items.
- You multiply the patient’s reported number of drinks by at least two, and divide their pain level by the same amount.
- You find true beauty in a perfectly folded sheet and neatly stocked cabinet.
- You are
secretlynot-so-secretly addicted to hand sanitizer.
- You understand, instantaneously, why a patient behaves in a certain way after meeting his/her parents, spouse, or children.
Me: “Ambulance dispatch for what town or city?”
Caller:”Uh..Ya, my brother is having a seizure.”
Me:”Ok, is your brother still seizing?”
Caller:”I don’t know, he’s upstairs and I am downstairs.”
Me:”Can you go to him to see if he is still seizing?”
Caller:”Well….no…..I don’t want to. Ya, see,…
That’s the thing about hospitals, the longer you stay the sicker you get.
Law and Order SVU(via askingtoreverseaday)
"Saving someone’s life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see. Once, for a few weeks, I couldn’t feel the earth - everything I touched became lighter. Horns played in my shoes. Flowers fell from my pockets. You wonder if you’ve become immortal, as if you’ve saved your own life as well. God has passed through you. Why deny it, that for a moment there - why deny that for a moment there, God was you?"
-Frank Pierce, Bringing Out The Dead
Working in a certain field does not automatically mean that you deserve your feet to be kissed nor to deserve respect.
Being a good person means you deserve respect.
A kind homeless man will get more respect from me than an asshole surgeon.
Also, if you are working in a…